Sunday, August 1, 2010

Rafting - A (Mis)Adventure

This post's sole purpose in life is to not clutter my Facebook page and to describe what happened on my latest rafting trip on 31st July 2010.
So, we went for rafting. Everything was good. Water splashes, jumps from the cliff and some water fights- everything was fun. Then came the 10 feet waterfall and we were prepared for it - both mentally and physically - or so we thought. We were seven people on the raft - Me, DJ, Sid, Abhishek, Aleesha, Kevin and Jonathan - our guide. We went down the water fall and the boat came up real nice - with just two out of seven people inside the boat!
Two people had fallen off and hit me during the fall and I also lost my grip on the boat. I was clinging to the side, one hand on the boat and with the other hand, I was holding someone else who had also fallen off the boat (after hitting me, mind you). After drifting for some time and some rocks hitting us both from below, I had to let go. Then came phase two.
I was the only person clinging to the boat and was waving and shouting to the boat riders - Aleesha and Kevin - to pull me up. They, on the other hand, were busy discussing something, paying no attention to my cries. Just then, my left leg got stuck between the raft and a rock below. It lasted for less than a second but it was painful. Desperation took over and I was about to give up hope when they finally saw me. Too many rocks had hit me by then and thoughts had started coming to my mind that people don't die by drowning in rafting - they die by getting hit from rocks. Everything said and done, they took some time to pull me up - first by hands and then by strap. My left hand was bleeding and left leg was sore (and from some time, my left eye was having some trouble too - I hate leftists).
Phase three. We three were on the raft and the raft was in the middle of the river with fast current. We were heading towards the Deadman's curve (there is a reason why it is called so I believe) with no guide. But some good instructors from other boats remotely guided us and after some frantic rowing, we were safely on shore. People joined in and so did our instructor. Life was good :). Happy ending. Best part - my specs didn't fall off :D

1 comment:

Parag said...

Lucky your friends were not discussing the US Health care bill or you would have reached the deadman's curve, well, dead!