Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bhoothnath - I can relate to it

A little digression here ... not the usual job-fundae stuff in this post. So here goes....

It all started when the govt. decided to increase the quota to 49% ... people got greedy! Eventually people started trying to procure a SC/ST 'status' for their 'caste'/'social group' .... this is what we saw in the recent Gujjar agitation. Well, I had to come to Mumbai to meet my friends as I was getting (extremely) bored with nothing to do at home (just sitting and waiting for my joining, which got postponed to 15 Sep). So I booked a seat in 3A in the good ol Rajdhani Express and was hoping to have a nice trip. But then our good friends from Rajasthan came into picture and the trains had to take a detour. As a result, the poor Rajdhani got delayed by 10 1/2 hours!

Whew! Ofcourse I got pissed off. So, for the return journey, I canceled my booking in the Paschim Express (which by the way, was running 24 hours late - imagine now ... a train journey of 28 hours and you get delayed by 24 hours ... making it 52 hours in a train!) and booked a ticket in Kingfisher Airlines instead (YO!).

Now as I sat there staring at the pretty pretty air hostesses, I noticed that they were showing Boothnath on the small screens. Wow! I must say it is a nice movie. Juhi and that kid 'Banku' are very cute. Though you can spot some instances of over acting here and there, but then it is not an Amir-Khan-Movie. So this much is expected.

A point worth noting is that people usually tend to fly when they are falling from the stairs (and there are multiple instances of this in the movie, as if every actor is showing off his flying skills). The special effects created for the BhoothNath are good, at least by Indian standards.

But there are a few things that, well, don't feel very good. Like the dire consequences of going abroad ... the mother dies! I mean common! Also, Mr. Nath leaves his body lying there, dead, to stop his son from going ... reminds me of Prof. Cuthbert Binns from Harry Potter. Also, Amitabh's ghost (Bhoothnath) says at one time "Chahe mujhe 100 janam idhar kyun na bhatakna pade, mein is ghar ko chod ke nahi jaunga" ... just that, at least this is what I believe, ghosts don't have a life cycle ... do they? I mean 100 births of the same ghost?

And then comes the King Khan in his "Kal Ho Na Ho" style, making everyone senti ... or at least trying to do so :P. And well, this was the most hilarious part ... imagine Khan with a pony at the sradh of Mr. Amitabh :)). At the same sradh, while everyone is playing very sober, our dear 'Banku' is happy as ever ... as if its his own birthday :D.

All said and done, it is a nice, cute movie. Though I have never seen Swadesh and I am going abraod, I guess I got the message. Moreover, I can relate to this movie ... though the consequences will not be so dramatic I hope :).

And guess what? I have reasons to believe that it will have a sequel too...